Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Weekend with Mom

This is my awesome mom: Mary Lou Bednosky. She lives on Long Island and came down to spend a long weekend with George, Mama Grey and I. We did lots of walking, gardening and talking....
Mom is better at paying attention to the little things-so we took our cameras out when we walked. Above is milkweed along the Mountains to Sea Trail.
Tulip populars raging along the MST...
We carved a pumpkin together, made pumpkin bread, toasted pumpkin seeds and entertained several treak or treaters Saturday night.
George turned 43 the first night Mom came. She surprized him greatly by gifting him with "goodies" from a Long Island Italian deli:cheese and a variety of cured meats. (You can NOT get this stuff where we live in the NC mountains!

The weekend was fantastic. Lots of quality time with together. We try and have a visit like this at least 2x a year (holidays together don't count because we all crazy busy trying to visit too many people in too short a period of time.) I love my mom very much and am very grateful for her enduring presence in my life. I am grateful too for her health and groundedness and adventurous spirit. (I didn't post the photo that shows us huddled over a picnic table trying to get out of the wind as we eat lunch in the 43 degree misty afternoon)

5 comments:

Rick Gray said...

Moms are truly special. Now we know where you get your adventurous spirit. I think I met your Mom a number of years ago, which was before we knew each other well. I was probably still calling you by the wrong name. Looking forward to our next meeting. Tell George happy birthday. Rick

Thomas Bussiere said...

Quality time with family is always something to cherish. I go to VT 2x a year to spend time with my mom and I remind myself to make it special and memorable. She is 76 and runs circles around me – I don’t know where she gets her energy.

Sophie Speidel said...

Such a sweet post. Moms are the best. My mom still worries about me when I race. They always worry. :-)

Rick Gray said...

Even though I see my Mom very often and she lives right in Johnson City, she still writes down the dates of my races in her calendar. She loves gettting a phone after the race is over telling her I am still alive. Rick

jennifer Nichols said...

Great post Annette! Family is so important! I'm glad you had a great visit with your mom! that is so cool rick, to think of you calling your mom to tell her how you did at a race. That is one of the first people I call after a race or a trail run is my parents. My mom worries about me being cold when I run more than anything. I try to tell her not to worry! usually cold is the LAST thing I am when I run!

good luck at MMTR ! WOO!! I'm so excited for all my friends running this weekend! you guys are going to RAWK IT!! :o)