|Entering the Longberger Trail at mile .75 of Rothrock Trail Challenge 30k, 6/4/2011|
- Not re-injure my healing knee by falling on it. (Falling hard directly on my left knee may mean out of the running (even though being "in the running" is not yet official... for World 100k-not yet certain-but I am too close to take risks!)
- Acquire points for the LaSportiva Mountain Cup
- Be recovered and ready to train by 6/7.
- Give Dorsal Fin a day off (ie: not race)
- Be smart and efficient with fueling, aid and running/hiking transitions
- Remind myself that to race would be to be greedy and in the past, greediness has led to bad things (injury)
|Crazies...how cool is that?|
|Western Maryland Rail Trail...beautiful with tons of community support...C&O towpath just seconds away!|
|Thankfully, only a tiny flesh wound as a souvenir!|
|Jason and Alison..both tough cookies who run with LaSportiva, rockin for 3rd place and living in NC!|
|Byron Powell, Alison Bryant, Jason Bryant and Me after 3 of the 4 of us jumped in the pond!|
|Massage practitioner John and I after a great post race therapy! The school he works for: Integrative Bodywork Therapeutic Massage gave complimentary massages for runners. If you live in the area, please contact these folks: www.ibsmt.com or 814-234-4700. Icing on the cake and fuel for the 9 hour car ride! Thank you John!|
|Post-race massage and playing bartender as we waited for the froth to subdue...|
I have never felt "old" during ultras...yet must admit, these shorter races running against (or like today, between) much younger women have reminded me that a 20 mile run and 50 miler are in seriously different categories! So be it. I am not getting younger, yet am eagerly learning and participating as I unfold the story of this lifetime!
Shoes, Clothing and Fuel (from the ground up)
Shoes: Montrail Mountain Masochists, men size 9
Socks: DryMax Trail
Shorts: Mtn Hardwear Pacer Advance Short (style from 2010)
Bra: Patagonia sports top
Tank: Mountain Hardwear wicked lite tank (uniform 2010)
Nathan Quickdraw Plus waterbottle
Carried and ate 1 bottle Clif Shot drink, 6 margarita shot blocks
From aid stations: 1/4 bottle gatoraide syrup, 1.5 bottle h20, 2 PB&J squares..
Post race: 1 12oz beer, 2 slices cheese pizza!
Next up (if the universe is willing!) Chattanooga Stage Races 6/17-619!