Sunday, November 27, 2011

Wilmington Road Runners Turkey Trot: Carolina Beach State Park, 11/26/2011



A cloudy sunrise poking through taken from our ocean balcony just before 7 am this morning!
George’s brother Chris and our sister in law Nikki and their awesome daughter Skylar recently moved from NY to Carolina Beach, NC. Since  George and Chris’ parents were going to celebrate Thanksgiving with the newly relocated Santucci’s , George and I took the opportunity to visit Carolina Beach for the 1st time together (George is a return visitor, me a newbie).

Since this is to be a brief post, I won’t ramble as usual!(For real!)

My personal goal, besides lots of beach walking, quality time with family and trying not to over indulge with food and drink, was to run the age I turned today over the course of the weekend, and to have it be stress-free (not having to forfeit sleep or sneak in runs here and there). It turned out great!

We stayed ½ mile from Chris and Nikki’s  at Golden Sands Motel…we were on the 6th floor w/ a balcony and great view of the ocean. (Ocean sounds were great too, when the balcony door was opened!).

We arrived at Carolina Beach around 1pm on Thanksgiving. Dinner was to start around 3pm so George went beach walking as I started my move towards a strategic 45 in 4 days with limited scheduling…I won’t prolong the details, yet will say I enjoyed running on flat, next to colorful houses and intermittently hearing the sea, depending on wind strength and direction.

Friday was a mix of running, hanging with Skylar, Nikki and Charlene before eating fresh fish caught by George that evening for supper.

Saturday was a treat: We learned of a trail run put on by the Wilmington Road Runners on Saturday, their version of an island Turkey Trot. Both George and I entered. What a great time! Very curvy and filled with pine straw and areas of deep sand, I was both in and out of my element at the same time!

I started out conservatively, waiting for my hamstring to scream, only it didn’t. It simply whined. So I keep increasing my effort and loving it! I wound up 19 seconds behind 29 year old race favorite and local superstar Melanie Lenk for a 2nd place open women’s finish and 1st masters. It felt great to work hard again! Full results here: http://www.wilmingtonroadrunners.org/raceresults/2011/Turk11ovr.txt

Fast guy Glen, George and I happy to represent the mountains on a coastal run!
George did great! He does not run regularly, yet has the strength and metabolism to toe the line for single digit trail runs and do wonderfully even if not in running shape. This is what he did on Saturday. Go Georgio, go!
George in the final 50 feet to go! (What happened to your right lower leg?
The coolest thing, I think, about this run was that Glen Bailey, 17, who I know and who attends Ashe County High School, where I work, also ran and achieved 2nd place for the guys!  Glen was All-State Cross Country this year. I really value the photo above of the tiny contingent that so well represented the Northern Mountains (Glen especially)!

George and I left Carolina Beach 7:30 am today and stopped at Olmsted State Park on I-40 for some leg moving on the route home. I was happy to run in a tank and shorts, quite possibly for the last time in weeks as winter weather encroaches on the Appalachian Mountains!

Next up for me? Many months ago I registered for the CrookedRoad 24 Hour. Despite my recent time off from running, I am considering starting the event and see what unfolds. I  hope to use my smarts to not over due it…and with it being just sub a 1 mile loop, will not put anyone in harms way if I need to quit! I will make a decision within 48 hours…

I wish to thank all of you sincerely who sent happy 45th B'day wishes to me today! You all make me feel really special and looking forward to sharing time on mixed surfaces running with folks!

4 comments:

The Sean said...

An enjoyable place to run around with many off chutes, rare vegetation (Venus Fly Trap!!) and interesting Civil War history!

annette bednosky said...

We didn't see any cool Fly Traps...yet super neat non-the-less!

tap shoes for girls said...

Looks like a really nice place

ultrarunnergirl said...

Belated happy birthday, Annette! I love that you run your age in miles, I am going to copy your idea. Luckily my birthday is the same weekend as the Martin Luther King Jr birthday weekend/VHTRC running extravaganza.
Super impressed by George jumping in and running too.