Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pacing Jill at Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run

 Jill and I at a 40 second stretch session...

Pausing to stretch is unwanted, yet sometimes necessary!

I had the privledge of pacing Jill Perry for the final 25 miles of her record setting 100 mile run at Umstead Endurance Runs last night. What fun and what a tough girl Jill is! I have known this, yet to run beside such a life filled person: determined, talented, dedicated and fun-loving,  and assist in any way I could was a great experience! Jill broke her own CR last year and ran 15:58 (and won!) While out there I also got to watch speedy Zach Gingerich make mush out of the previous CR and get 13:23! Congratulations to both and to everyone! Umstead is not a mountain course, yet no one could ever fairly call it flat-it's got it's hills!

I witnessed many highs and lows this day...Jill hit a low after the race and that turned into another learning adventure...yet I'll let her tell the story as she is sure to post sometime this week on her blog!

 Jill running happy and strong at mile 78ish!

I have slept only 90 minutes since waking Saturday morning and will leave this post short as Life must continue even with the inclusion of unexpected learning adventures!  If time allows, I have so much to share, about pacing and connecting, witnessing the realities drama of "behind the scenes", wondering about avalalbility of post race IVs and the enormous responsibility in offering (RDing) and participaiting  (running!) a hundred mile trail run!

I celebrate Jill! And everyone! I hope each runner and crew rests well and recovers quickly. Full results will be at the race website within the next few days.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

She is so fantastic and I can't wait to hear more about your experience as a pacer and what you have learned and tips and such.
Great job!

Hone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick Gray said...

Annette, It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful time doing something wonderful for Jill. I know she is so appreciative of all you did. You had a part in helping her to break her own record. Tammy and I certainly missed Umstead this year. Hopefully our race schedule will line up properly next year. A great big congratulations to Jill for a spectacular run. Rick

Running 2 Mohican said...

Way cool you could make it out pace Jill to a course record!

Sara said...

wow... humbling - the body can really break down & thought provoking...

Jill is tough..